[TYPO3-team-templavoila] Store configuration (DS, etc.) in other format than XML in database

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 8 11:29:36 CEST 2009

> The conclusion is that there is actually not much XML involved, only the
> necessary to have a good time with core-flexforms.

Fabrizio's results read:
"I profiled a simple single templavoila page with a few fces. (...) While
profiling there were 350 calls to xml2array, but only 27 different ones."

For a single page 350 calls to xml2array seem like an awful lot...
I'm going to ask Fabrizio if he happens to have the (27) XML blocks that
were sent to xml2array. Then we can see how many of those stem from TV.

Storing data in XML format in a database has a few disadvantages to me:
- it is not very time efficient to retrieve the data
- it is (almost?) impossible to do any database selects based on values
inside XML or have any restrictions on the values (uniqueness, foreign
keys, etc.)

Presenting data in XML form to a human is not a problem. The data can
easily be converted to and from XML. And because human interaction is
relatively rare you have performance issues.

Regards,

--
Jigal van Hemert.