[TYPO3-hci] icons in t3skin

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Sun Apr 5 17:17:50 CEST 2009

Hi Masi and the rest involved in this thread

I do think that Masi's suggestion to get rid of all overlays but hidden and just have an exclamation mark if we have
something else is a little bit too much as this would not solve the problem one of my editors had: Why is CE 4711
(scheduled in the past) not shown in FE but 4712 is? Reason: we have the same clock for 3 states:

- datetime exspired
- datetime visible
- datetime visible in the future

Having that reduced to an exclamation mark does not help in that situation. In contrary, she would have easily found the
mistake if the three timing overlays had different icons!

It is easier if you see the most important stuff directly. After digging in into that item states stuff a bit more and
talking to some of my editors, we came to the following conclusion:

1) An item is hidden (h)
	We only need to know whether this includes subpages (hp)
2) An item is exspired (t)
	Let us have clock with red background.
	We only need to know whether this includes subpages (tp)
3) An item is scheduled right now (f)
	Let us have a clock with green background.
	We want to know about usergroups and subpages (fu,fp,fup)
4) An item is scheduled for the future (tf)
	Let us have clock with green border and white background.
	We want to know about usergroups and subpages (tfu,tfp,tfup)
5) An item is user protected (u)
	We want to know about subpages.

This way we will end up with 16 instead of 30 item states and a maximum of 3 symbols per icon instead of 4, while
important information is still visible.

3 symbols on an icon of 16x16 (and this is where we want to go, right?) is still a lot, and it means that we have to
change some icons to be able to use the same overlays in the same position for every doktype. Thus we can perhaps code
something that generates the overlays automatically again like for the old skin.

- Shortcut (still a grey arrow, but bigger and placed top left).
- Mountpoint (big blue angeled arrow coming down from top left; we could have a reddish arrow to stick to the former
color, but as we have red in overlays ...)
- Visual Menu Seperator (yellow folder with pages looking out. The current one is hard to notice in large pagetrees even
in normal state because of it's three tiny elements and it's color, but changing color alone did not really help).
- Sysfolder (too big, to ugly, does not fit with my Visual menu seperator, so I took the famfamfam folder and colored it
blue, a darker grey would be an option too, but people around me here all told me that they liked it better, and so do I).

Also changed in the zip-file below, but not necessarily related to the overlay question, so we should discuss that topic
in another thread):
- Standard (no more lines on the page to have less noise in the pagetree)
- Not in menu (no dotted border anymore, more greyish than standard)

Attached you find:
1) An overview of all 15 overlays for normal page
2) An overview of the changed base icons (including standard and notinmenu)
3) A zip file with all icons in all states (unzip it to typo3/systext/t3skin/icons/gfx/i/ to see the icons in action)
4) An updated overview of the current 30 states (not 23 as I thought in my last post in this thread)

Kind regards, Uschi