[TYPO3-hci] Shortcut => Bookmark

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Jan 29 15:47:56 CET 2008

Hi,

>> after a discussion with Jens, Gina and Ben we thought about renaming
>> Shortcut to Bookmark and to use the star icon well known from Browsers
>> and other Web apps.
>> If you don't agree please shout loud :-)
>
> With a brand new CMS that would be feasible.
>
> And shortcuts are well known also in our 90% Windows world. It's not
> *that* confusing IMHO.
>
> With > 40 books and DVD, Manuals and 10 years of history, I see no
> evidence that it's worth renaming it.

hmm, what do you think about 10 years old bugs then ;) (also whispering)

The 4.2 branch is about usability - and only because something has been
like this for the last 10 years, it doesn't have to stay like this. This
is indeed no argument at all. The goal in development should be, to
always make things better - better then the last version and also better
then the things of others.

Having two different functions with the name 'shortcut' (pagetype and
the bookmark feature of the BE) is a bit confusing to new users of TYPO3
and non-tech geeks. The term shortcut for the BE feature might be
similar to the functionality it provides, but the actual functionality
is a simple bookmark manager. So for better understanding I vote to
rename this in bookmark.

This will also make book writing easier, because when you write shortcut
it only can be a pagetype ;)
--
Greetings,
Franz