[TYPO3-hci] New Icon API Changes For 4.3

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Tue Apr 29 14:08:23 CEST 2008

Hey there,

> If we require MSIE 7.0 for BE (which should be fine for 4.3), we can use
> 24-bit PNGs with transparency.

a) I don't see any reason why icons in the default BE icon size would
need 24-bit transparency. There is no relevant benefit. Probably used
soft edges will only reduce readability in this size.

b) I discourage requiring IE7 for BE - for the same reasons Matthew
Deneyer gave.

c) if you still need 24-bit pngs for icons (which is ridiculous in my
eyes), there are various JS snippets out there that fix 24bit-png images
in IE 5.5-6 (although limited to img-tags and non-repeating
background-images). If you dislike using those JS snippets, you can
still make those 24-bit icon-sets optional by providing them as extension.

--
kind regards,
Franz