[TYPO3-hci] typoscript issues

Sudara Williams sudara at web-crossing.com
Tue May 8 09:41:08 CEST 2007

I also feel that an editor makes a lot of difference.

Typoscript itself has a sloppy "vibe". It's syntax is inconsistent
and the default way to create with it is to type in a little textarea
in the BE - this promotes people not learning it, high error rate,
and low understandability. People look at it and say "why is it
sometimes camelCase and sometimesnot and sometimesObscureAsHell ?

Using an editor can save headaches - highlighting confirms that you
have typed correctly, you are more tempted to format the code nicely,
etc.

Having nice syntax highlighting does not mean we should keep the
language sloppy and not care about consistency.

As I mentioned before - making the core consistent encourages
extension authors to be consistent and saves headaches for people
learning. Though the preview of the 5.0 *framework* may be ready
later this year, we'll be using 4.x for the next few years.

It would be nice to be honest - even a good knife needs sharpening.

Sudara