[TYPO3-hci] [TYPO3-t3skin] Two proposals for a new skin.

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Wed Jun 13 22:30:51 CEST 2007

Hi! :)

Bas v.d. Wiel schrieb:
> Hi Andreas,
> These are a nice start! It's slightly shiny, yet not too Apple-ish.
Oh cool. We're working with Windows only ;) Nice to see that even Apple
users might want it :)

> don't immediately see what functionality these skins expose to the user,
> which I'm a bit worried about.
Well currently it's just a first draft to have something. At the moment
we only thought about creating some basics to add details later on. We
thought about doing this already but we wanted to publish something.
Because in fact I don't like when I'm doing something and other people
say things like Hey.. You wrote tons of nice ideas in the lists but did
not produce any images. So there are only some words.....

Well I wanted to show I'm not only thinking about those ideas and
writing them down but realizing them too.

> But of course I have missed a lot of
> traffic on this list during the past months because of work, so that may
> very well be my own fault. Anyway, great to see your work!
I also would like to get further.

> My first impression on both:
>
> The blue version:
It's blue? Personally I would call it cold iron ;)
> - It's mostly empty space, makes it difficult to judge functionality.
Yes. It was created after the green one. The green one isn't so good
because it's looking like a graphical web 2 approach but didn't stay in
the right direction.

> - No TYPO3 logo anywhere
Yes. It has to be added somewhere. But first we might change the colors
to a suitable TYPO3 colorset.

> - Very clean and easy on the eyes
This is in fact one of the main issues we had. The future skin has to be
used by millions of people for a very long time per day (if they are not
going to change the skin). So we looked at it for quite a long time and
tested whether we'll get crazy ;)

> - I don't see any correlations between different areas of the interface,
> mostly due to overall emptiness.
Yes. As mentioned it is only the basic. But it should have many
whitespaces later on.

> The green version:
> - What are the large user-puppet icons for?
In this screen I wanted to create something like a page element/content
element mix. I thought that big icons might represent a functionality
better then small ones with only little texts. In this case it should
enable you to switch the visibility and basic FE user rights but for
those icons symbols like + and - would have been better than colored
suits I think.

> - What's in the tree view? Pages?
Yes. But it is not designed yet at all.

> - I like the layered approach for Header info, Time settings, Access
> rights etc.
This idea was not by me (it's somewhere in the hci list) but I think
that it's a little bit better to have an overview at the left and the
changing options large at the right.

> - 'Taschenrechner'? How cool is that! Backend applets!
Oh.. Forgot to change it. Yes. In fact I had the idea a year ago to
include a personalized starting page with fixed elements that can be
changed. (but not moved). (see wiki alternative starting page project or
so...) Well the basic idea got changed and now some widgets or gadgets
should be included (that can be moved around)

But on this screen this bar shouldn't represent dashboard functionality
but the possibility to switch between the opened documents, like the
taskbar in Windows Vista (with grouping, etc)

> - A tab labeled 'any'.. TYPO3 5.0 can do anything? ;-))
Yeah. I first wanted to write Inspiring people to share as menu items
but it didn't look so right. So I just wrote any. But maybe something
like this can be integrated to give a full list of the features..

> - The RTE and the rest of the theme should have matching colours.
I just copied it. As I don't know whether any of these will be used in
any way I didn't want to invest more time then needed. (actually we're
two people working at it)

> - Be careful with green and orange, our colour blind friends may not
> appreciate this combination.
Yes. But I wanted to use the TYPO3 colors. Anyway: This design needs
more whitespace.

> Keep up the good work!
:) Thanks. I'll forward it to Fabian too.

Andreas