[TYPO3-hci] Consistency is Usability

Benjamin Mack bmack at kirix.com
Fri Jan 19 12:51:36 CET 2007

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to share some thoughts here:

I am currently making heavy use of the Backend-Users- and Groups, but it
is really tricky every time I use it. Of course you can get used to it.
but I want to show some aha-effects I got almost every time:

* I am editing a Backend - User. If I want to add him to a group I have
those two select-boxes. On the left I have the groups that the user
belongs to, on the right all available groups. Sure, makes sense. But:
As soon as I want to edit a group, I need to select it in the left box,
but the buttons for the editing is next to the right box... mmh, kinda
confusing.

* A bit below I got the "modules" list. Actually, I just select out of
ONE box, which makes sense too, and the ones that are selected are the
ones the user is allowed to use / see.

* So, once I am editing the Access lists of a group, I find this
"Allowed excludefields". Sure, I understand "Allowed", but in terms with
"exclude", it's hard for me to differentiate, if it means that they are
excluded from the fields the user is allowed to see or not? I find
myself struggeling with the labeling. The help solves the problem almost
every single time.

* A bit further down I get to the "Explicitly allow/deny field values",
which is the worst thing for me to understand. With the default
installation there are only "Deny" fields. So, I was like: Are they
"denied" when I select them or when I leave them unselected? This is
almost always try and error, and very irritating. But of course, the CSH
is very useful. Also, in contrast to the "Allowing" in the selectbox
above this is explicitly denying something.

Again, I'm glad that HCI is taking care of a lot of problems and I look
forward to seeing great implementations of the cool ideas here coming up
soon.

Enjoy your weekend!
--
greetings,