[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Sep 27 09:43:40 CEST 2006

Hi Silke,

> Is there a precise definition of what our target groups are?

We do have target groups defined (see wiki).

If you mean; who are we producing this software for?

The answer is inherent in Open Source: Our selves!

In commercial software we produce for the customer, here we solve our
own problems. TYPO3 became what it is because that was the sort of
tool I originally needed and what I was passionate about making. That
has now attracted other people with a similar mindset and in a way re-
inforcing our "identity" although variations exist.

There is one road we cannot walk; the road to a system our neighbour
wants. It carries absolutely no motivation to solve our neighbours
problem unless you rely on borrowing his Weber barbeque for your
summer party.

Here is a great quote from the article: "If traditional OSS
development is about scratching a personal itch, usability is about
being aware of and concerned about the itches of others".

This is as true as it can get - but also point out a problem far more
interesting than how to make HCI tests on the system between
versions; namely: How on earth do you get developers to care for the
itches of others! The whole argument that open source works is that
you want to scratch your own itch!

So, the 1.000.000$ question: How can you make a developer care for
another persons itch?

- kasper