[TYPO3-hci] Open Source usability sucks?

Wed Sep 27 09:15:43 CEST 2006

Erik Svendsen wrote:
> If you are talking about everyday applications, I would say mostly the
> usability is better in commersial applications. But the gap has
> decreased a lot since 2002. I think very few are considering Firefox
> having lesser usability than IE. And also the latest Linux distros are
> catching up with XP and Mac in usability.

Hi Erik,

you are right that the gap has decreased. Firefox, Ubuntu, Openoffice
are examples for this. What have this projects in common? There are big
private companies behind, that are interested in the success of the
software:

Firefox => Google
Openoffice => Sun
Ubuntu => Canonical Ltd.

There are common startegies behind all of this projects, that require
some investments done by this companies:

1.) continuous integrated professional design
2.) start out of the box
3.) default configuration optimized and limited for the everyday user
4.) additional techical features as separte addons (plugins, components,
packages)

>From this 4 points TYPO3 respects point 4. the TER. Point 4 is enough to
make TYPO3 successfull in the scandinavian and german market. But what
about USA, Asia, ....

Compare Drupal and Joomla. What can we learn from this?

Regards

Elmar