[TYPO3-hci] Comparison between menu behaviors

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 11:19:18 CEST 2006

> At the respect of consitent behavior onmouse-based tabbed menu is the
> best. Because main and sub-modules are consistent visible,
> the total accessibility is better than using pull-down menus,
> which needs always starting from the beginning.

I agree,

1) Take the MS Windows approach of a drop down nav/toolbox and you need to
restart your journey.

2) Take the double tabbed nav approach and always show the current position.

Clearly a solution is to develop both for end users to choose their
preference however one will be chosen as default and therefore most
documentation/users are likely to stick with it.

My view on this is that the MS windows approach is fine so long as it is
obvious where you are only if it is relevant.

MS Windows style tools in nearly all applications popup the interactive
dialogue box for doing your stuff. Then you click to exit the tool box and
you are back in the current view.

TYPO3 currently works differently. When you select an item from your toolbox
the whole screen changes.

This pre-supposes the operation of TYPO3 is a journey like on a website
rather than a set of tools to make configuration changes.

My view is that TYPO3 is not a journey website so development of TYPO3
towards an application style interface I think is the right direction.
Kasper seems to be taking this approach.

So returning to your discussion I agree but maybe it does not matter. MS
Windows has used this approach for decades.

If I recall Joey suggested TYPO3 BE should develop into separate
toolboxes/widows/views for each module. This leads to an Adobe/Macromedia
approach to the interface. Each draggable about the screen and resized to
suit each end users way of working.

Matthew