[TYPO3-hci] Quick Question: Pull-down menu library?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Sun Sep 17 14:04:40 CEST 2006

Thanks all,

I'm surprised that tabbed menus would win a usability contest.

Anyway, my intension is - as you ask for - to make this completely
extendable / replacable by extensions! So, imagine a base layout with
a horizontal space for - typically - the menu bar and another space
below for - typically - shortcut icons (and below this, you find an
IFRAME with the actual TYPO3 module in, substituting the current
"content" frame).

In the "menu" space and "shortcut icon" space you can add small AJAX
applications supplied by extensions. By default TYPO3 would come with
a "menu" extension in the "menu" space which generates a drop-down
menu with the module. In addition there will be a selector for
workspaces, one for searching etc. But the point is that anyone could
add a little application up there fore their own extensions.

This way, we need to settle for a default menu but could easily
deliver alternatives as needed.

My first step is to create this framework and then I want this team
to help fill it in with default applications for 4.1!  My personal
favourite remains a drop-down menu, which in my eyes is the time-
proven and effective solution, but everyone can prove his/her point
by making a tabbed menu.

As sebastian suggests we can usability test both.

- kasper