[TYPO3-hci] Usability testing in lab?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Mon Sep 11 19:48:57 CEST 2006

In fact I mean it ;-)

However, I'm not believing in all of them, this is why:

>>> On what basis should one idea be chosen over another?
>> a) We could vote?

Strength: It's not a bad idea to vote! With a broad enough group
voting it will be the most precise indication of what has the highest
impact - at least in terms of what people know they need, not
necessarily what is most efficient for users. But the latter requires
some scientific knowledge we don't have yet.

Problem: We still need someone motivated to do what the majority
likes to have...

>> b) We could set up an expert panel to decide?

Problem: Who decides who are the experts? And who wants to obey
orders from the experts?

>> c) We could let those decide who are ready to implement it?

Strength: Motivation is there inherently, things are going to happen.

Problem: Not necessarily in the broadest interest. However, one could
argue that those with other objectives could lead a similar effort to
get their itches scratched.

I'm personally in favor of a c)-based solution with nice-guy elements
of a) if possible. My main concern is that without someone to
implement it, option a) and b) makes no sense. And - really - the
Open Source philosophy is in c).

- kasper