[TYPO3-hci] Creating a new interface - real life meeting

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Fri Oct 27 10:13:12 CEST 2006

Sebastian Erlhofer schrieb:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I agree to Kasper on boosting the progress. But we really need to have a
> plan on what we meet. Only "improve usabiliy and figure out how" is too
> uncertain and won't be worth travelling (except of seeing all your noses
>  ofc :))
>
> But I think we can manage this  :)
>
> -sebastian
>
> Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:
>> Hi JoH!
>>
>> This sounds like a great idea! I'm behind on my HCI list reading but
>> just wanted to jump in on this one. In fact, I think such a meeting -
>> if done right - could boost our progress a lot. I do think end
>> november is too early, I have to think about this. And we really have
>> to figure out how it can be fruitful and collaborative. That is not
>> easy.
>>
>> If we make it right we can probably ask our TYPO3 Association to
>> support the meeting financially in some way; That is what the
>> Association is there fore; enabling people to participate.
>>
>> Later,
>>
>> - kasper
>> '
>>

>> On Oct 25, 2006, at 12:59 , JoH asenau wrote:
>>
>>> Hi HCI folks.
>>>
>>> Since the experience from the last years shows that a simple list  or
>>> wiki is
>>> not the best solution when it comes to collaboration I would like  to
>>> have
>>> something like an HCI camp during the next two months.
>>>
>>> We could meet for a weekend or so at a place that is within a few
>>> hours of
>>> travelling for each of the participants. First day would be some
>>> brainstorming about basic concepts of a new interface and during  the
>>> other
>>> day(s) we could create screenshots and other stuff to show the
>>> people and
>>> especially the coders, what it's all about.
>>>
>>> So the participants of this camp don't necessarily have to be
>>> coders, since
>>> the coding will happen later on. But it would be nice to have some
>>> coders
>>> there or at least some of them agreeing to realise the concept we
>>> elaborate
>>> during this camp. After all it wouldn't make sense to design
>>> something that
>>> will never get real because we are missing the coders with the
>>> appropriate
>>> skills.
>>>
>>> As far as I can see there are guys from Austria, Denmark, Finland,
>>> UK and
>>> Germany. (Correct me if I forgot somebody ...)
>>> So Hamburg could be a good place for this camp. Even Düsseldorf
>>> could be
>>> acceptable - but that would be unfair since I am living there ;-)
>>> Other suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>>> Do you think it's worth an investment of some days and a few bucks for
>>> travelling and accomodation?
>>>
>>> Let me know ...

> [...]
"Can we [manage][..] this? - Yes we can!" :)
Well, first it would be nice, if this is on a weekend (so i'm able to
participate in real and not only virtually ;) )
Then it would be great, if this meeting is near a youth hostel (German
"Jugendherberge") (e.g.
http://www.jugendherberge.de/de/jugendherbergen/visitenkarte/jh.jsp?IDJH=479)

A few of the main topics could be:
- designing a default UI for T3 4.1 ++
|- create the design of a T3 dashboard
|- create the design of a sidebarpanel
|- examinate how different menu ideas influence the daily work of a T3 user
- creating a general skin concept to connect the skin to the core
|- create the concept of a T3 dashboard
|- create the concept of a sidebarpanel and discuss on how to connect
this to the menu and the dashboard
|- discuss on what of a skin has to be coded in a skin extension, and
which things are core. (e.G.: the ajax menu of the last opened documents
should be created as an array or something else by core, but displayed
by a skin) (how far can the process of creating new skins be simplified)

Greetings
Andreas