[TYPO3-hci] Innovate - don't imitate

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Tue Oct 24 12:08:38 CEST 2006

JoH asenau wrote:

> Wouldn't it be
> good to have just a main menu that would open only one level of the active
> item on demand using AJAX technology?

http://icant.co.uk/sandbox/navigation/services.php

Here is a live example of how fast and cleanly an ajax menu works. In my
mind it beats the pants of most dhtml stuff. DHTML is limited by what is
pre-coded whereas ajax is not.

This ajax example replicates a conventional menu system but you can easily
see how each tiny part of the TYPO3 BE could become a mini 'toolbox' ready
for manipulation.

Others have discussed targetting audiences, this could easily be achieved
this way. 'micro toolboxes' for beginners and 'full control toolboxes' for
advanced developers. This allows the BE interface to grow as the user
requires.

Allowing each toolbox to be reshaped and positioned allows each user to
organise the BE how they please.

Remebering 'state' will allow developers to pre-load a state for certain
groups of BE users.

The question in my mind is as discussed much earlier - what are the actual
problems we face that need to be solved. Most of these HCI discussions have
been about the end technology rather than the problem to be solved.

Some ideas.

--
Matthew