[TYPO3-hci] 4.1 menubar thoughts

Troels Kjær Rasmussen troels at linkfactory.dk
Thu Oct 19 23:42:20 CEST 2006

Hi Lasse and others.

First of all, a big THANK YOU for the great mock-ups Lasse - this is the
best approach I´ve seen so far in this group - and in years generally!

I find discussions regarding double-clicks a.s.o are completely obsolete
at this point - issues like these could be discussed in later revisions
of the general concept.

What I would like to comment on(my 0.2c) are the general concepts behind
the UI.

The desktop:
I LIKE IT! - but I´m also certain that endusers will find this a major
usability improvement from their perpective. The concept of a
desktop-like approach to shortcuts and/or "documents" is a familiar
concept amongst most novice as well as experienced endusers. Before even
understanding the concepts of the more complex UI´s of the individual
modules in TYPO3, they are met with a familiar interface that comforts
them by being a well-known enviroment giving them a sense of being in
control.

The windows:
Again a well known and well tested UI-concept, which most users are
familiar with before even entering a TYPO3 enviroment. However the
concept of tabbed windows appeals to me also. Most firefox users are
VERY happy about this concept - and with IE7 released this week - soon
most IE users will be also. Tabbed windows also has the benefit of
keeping a structured and overseable working enviroment for the often
complex modules. In general I think it is great and supports my previous
comments about not reinventing the wheel, but use the conform,
welltested and almost basic UI solutions from other software in general.

I have a teaching session next week with a group of intermediate typo3
users and will do a little 20-min workshop and evaluation with this and
a couple of the other approaces posted on this list. I´ll post a summary
of their feedback on the lists afterwards in order to have some enduser
representation and input in this list also.

Well done.

regards
Troels Kjær Rasmussen