[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

Silke Arend sa at externes-management.de
Thu Oct 19 09:26:47 CEST 2006

Hi Lasse,

> > Should a browser-based app behave like a desktop-based app? I think that
> > onclick menus or double click behaviour is *not* what people expect in
> > web apps.
> >
> > If we try to mimic the behaviour of Windows/MacOS whatever in a browser
> > we end up with endless limits and insane javascript usage (see again
> > Lasse's post). IMO it's worth copying UI from other web apps instead of
> > Desktops and Office tools because that's what TYPO3 is: a web app.
> Good points and questions.
> Thing is though, that typo3 has much more complexity and features than
> most other web-apps on the market today. Take for instance gmail. The
> only purpose you log in to gmail is to check your e-mail and send
> emails. So you'd expect to see a list of emails, a button that says
> "write new email" and some way to delete emails no longer needed.
> Same thing with flickr.. Only difference - it shows photos!
> Even wordpress has half the complexity of typo3.
>
> What does a regular user expect to see when opening typo3??
> How about an advanced user??
> It depends on what their roles are, and what tasks lie ahead of them
> when opening typo3 right??
>
> Point is that typo3 is from my point of view more than your regular
> "web-app", and I see no simple way to make it easy to use for everyone
> at the moment - even with extensive TS user setup scripting. So why not
> give the users a concept they are familiar with, and let them design
> their own back-end??
> Expand upon the great feature of making a shortcut to the page or
> modules they spend most time in, and let them arrange these shortcuts to
> suit their needs. Personally I love to make shortcuts in windows.. It
> saves me sooo much time each day. And I also like to arrange them in
> small groups so that they are easy to find. Well.. maybe that's just
> me.. I dono... But this is a very well proved concept, and every user
> who ever used a computer, knows how it works.
>
> And about the double-clicking to open a window.. Well I did that for my
> pleasure only. VERY easy to change to a single-click if need be..

Thank you for providing a quite elaborate suggestion! It helps me in thinking about the advantages of the different approaches, i.e. current BE, tabs, windows, ...

Your version definitely looks nice. Yet, I don't see an advantage in the windows approach.

- How do I choose between windows?

- How do I know what is opened already, once the lie on top of one another?

- I "managed" twice to move a window underneath the top menu - which made it impossible for me, to move or close it,

- A first level (or second depending on where you start to count) that stays open once you moved away can be anoying, by forcing you to take care of it in an extra step, if you want to read what is covered up. I prefer it, to close when you move away, ideally with a little delay, so it does not happen when you slip down unintentionally.

Silke