[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Wed Oct 18 18:26:02 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

> Notice a few features about my menu:
>
> "Active state" of the whole menu bar:
> - When you roll over with your mouse, layers don't appear unless you click.
> - When you have clicked the item, any other item you roll over in the
> menubar will now show its items, until you click again.
>
> Hiding of layers:
> - Layers disappear not when you move your mouse 1 pixel out of its
> boundaries but when you click something.
>

> These features are taken from the way menus work in an OS like the Mac
> (and windows mostly). I'm not saying this is the final way it should
> work, but can you achieve this with CSS alone? I think not, so to not
> limit our usability  tuning parameters it feels unreasonable to aim for
> a JS-less menu.

Hi Kasper,

apart from the technical aspect that you're right and on_click behaviour
is not available with CSS only, I think your rationale as well as
Lasse's proposal bring up a more generic question:

Should a browser-based app behave like a desktop-based app? I think that
onclick menus or double click behaviour is *not* what people expect in
web apps.

If we try to mimic the behaviour of Windows/MacOS whatever in a browser
we end up with endless limits and insane javascript usage (see again
Lasse's post). IMO it's worth copying UI from other web apps instead of
Desktops and Office tools because that's what TYPO3 is: a web app.

Greetings,
Michael