[TYPO3-hci] My 4.1 proposal - again

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Oct 18 12:10:25 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

> If you do the actual menu (not the drag and drop parts, AJAX calls,
> etc)
> as a suckerfish-style dropdown, then for most browsers there is no JS
> involved at all, which makes the menu as fast as possible. A
> protoype/scriptaculous driven main menu makes no sense IMO.

Notice a few features about my menu:

"Active state" of the whole menu bar:
- When you roll over with your mouse, layers don't appear unless you
click.
- When you have clicked the item, any other item you roll over in the
menubar will now show its items, until you click again.

Hiding of layers:
- Layers disappear not when you move your mouse 1 pixel out of its
boundaries but when you click something.

These features are taken from the way menus work in an OS like the
Mac (and windows mostly). I'm not saying this is the final way it
should work, but can you achieve this with CSS alone? I think not, so
to not limit our usability  tuning parameters it feels unreasonable
to aim for a JS-less menu.

- kasper

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |