[TYPO3-hci] Frontend toolbar and click-to-edit

Dan Frost dan at 3ev.com
Tue Oct 17 14:49:52 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I got some interest from my posting the other day about a frontend
toolbar and click-to-edit system which we've developed so I thought I'd
outline what it all is and when we'll have it published.

TOOLBAR
The toolbar appear at the top of the page when a backend user is logged
in. The whole system is based on normal BE user permissions so doesn't
require much configuration.

The toolbar has a PHP *and* a JavaScript API so you can add items to it
at any point in building the page.

CLICK-TO-EDIT
Our philosophy of frontend editing is that it should be really simple -
don't add anything that the user might not understand or which can't be
explained in a single line.

So, we put a red line around the content which needs to be edited, ask
the user to click to edit and load the form by AJAX straight into the
page. The user then clicks "Save changes" in the toolbar, and the
amended page content is put back into the page.

We've used TinyMCE with a change which allows the upload of images
without reloading the page (iframe - couldn't find a way of doing it
with AJAX).

PLAN
We have published the extensions which make this possible - update to
dlib, microsites and obtcaform.

We will be publishing the documentation in the next few days, along with
a working installation demonstrating this.

Anyway - that's what it is.

Regards,
dan

--