[TYPO3-hci] ...was inspiring people to slave, now lets talk turkey...

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Mon Oct 16 11:49:19 CEST 2006

Hello Matthew,

>> In fact it's a stupid one, primarly because it's somehow not the
>> expectations of people that looks at Open Source.
>>
> Ah well. I am sure your use of the term 'stupid' was not a mistake.
> Good luck.

No, it was not a mistake. And thats not because I think the expectations
about Open Source are free as in "free beer" (even if its the reality for
many). But for me a part of the soul in Open Source is that you can "pay"
in different ways.

Another point is that "tax" as a word has a value that most people see as
a negative one.

> I am glad to hear assurance that the T3A is exploring this issue. I
> just never read anything significant about it.

I suppose you don't. And this are in my view a real problem. The communication
from TYPO3's official body and the community aren't as it should be.

> Re-read the Kasper vs Joey discussion to see the learned but false
> dichotomy that TYPO3 faces all in the name of OpenSource.
>
> I hope it gets resolved soon.

I have read it, and re-read it. For me it will always be different views
on these topics, and I don't think you will get a 100 % agreement.

But this doesn't change the reality that you need to be very careful in balancing
motivation factor when working with organisations where most of the "work"
are done by voluntary workers. I have experienced from different voluntary
organizations that changing motivation factors can nearly kill the organizations.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no