[TYPO3-hci] Print button

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Sun Oct 1 18:34:38 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> no offense meant, but why do you think TYPO3 should look or behave like
> a word processor with Save as and a print button?
>
> TYPO3 is nothing like an office program, and if your argument is that
> dummy users only know office programs and we need to adapt our CMS to
> their thinking, we could just as well work on making TYPO3 behave like a
> door knob or a coffee machine to get those non-computer users on board,
> too ...

Well.. This is one argument, and as you are able to read, you'll have
noticed, that many people here do think, that T3 needs to have the
'usual' application look & feel to increase usuability.

But this argument is not the one i would like to point out.

TYPO3 is a "Enterprise Content Management System". You are writing,
organizing, modifying and displaying information with it. Let's call
these information "contents". You write those contents via your
webbrowser and read them through:
RSS feeds
XML feeds
webbrowser
braille-reader
screenreader
PDA
mobilephone (e.g.: wap and imode and chtml)
Flashgames and contents
news magazines (like t3n)

and many many others. I mean, it's even possible today to create dynamic
onlinevideos with contents of T3.

So you'll see that all of these ways to display those information are
computer powered. Except the news magazines. Sorry to say you don't
know, how they are doing it..

Ok. So you integrate your BE of T3 into your company's workflow system,
and there are thousands of people working with one installation (i would
say Magix and Siemens are good examples of this).. they write articles,
knowledgebase entries, talk to their customers via phone support (the
faq system could be managed by T3..) and all in all they are working
hours each day with T3 on their computers.. So what if they want to work
on their texts, but have a problem with their eyes, because they looked
for hours on the screen..

Ok.
Situation 1)
maybe 1) switch of javascript to be sure that nothing happens uncontrolled
2) open a page with contents
3) you are using mozilla on a secured computer.. damn! (clipboard
toolbar button not working) Hold the left mousebutton and select the
text in the RTE or the textarea.
4) click the right mousebutton
5) choose copy
6) open your favourite writing software
7) choose paste
8) click on print
9) choose your printer
10) get your paper printed with the information you wanted, __IF__ you
did not die, because you got stuck somewhere, because there's a tiny
application on your computer, that keeps your right mousebutton not
working.. :-/

Situation 2)
1) Open the page with the content that you want to print
2) click print > T3: "Do you want to print that page on the printer 1
configured by your company or do you want to choose your own printer?"
3) click on "printer configured by company"
4) be happy :)

So i think this is an argument more complex than just to say "nearly
every application has a print button, so we have to get one too"..

What do you think? :)

Greetings
Andreas