[TYPO3-hci] The Paradox of Choice

Lasse Norby zamiams at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 13:55:52 CET 2006

JoH asenau wrote:

> No. - And I can explain why ...
> I am the end user of TYPO3 and I use it to create something for my client
> he/she can work with. The clients are only using a very small part of the
> system which is necessary to add, delete and/or edit different elements
> (content, news, sometimes users and newsletters).
>
> The major part of TYPO3 will remain unseen for those clients so _if_ you
> want to call them "end users", they are end users of the editing features.
> They will never change a template, be it pure TS ore TV based, they will
> never use the kickstarter, they will never touch a constant. They will never
> use all the other features outside the editors view.

I think clients are also interested in things like version control,
click/page statistics and analysis, translation handling, user handling,
workflow etc.
So the way I see it is that you, the developer, spends x weeks setting
up the system to comply to internal agreements, and hands it over to the
ones who needs to use it regularly for a long period of time - hopefully.
Too me, the client is still the end user.

> This is definitely true for almost any part of TYPO3. But "Ease of use"
> doesn't necessarily mean to reduce the features or dumb down the system by
> forcing people to work in just one way just to prevent them from having to
> make a decision. For example: If you would force me to use TV because it
> would be the only templating system of this "improved" new version X.0 of
> TYPO3, all my clients would have to pay at least for the double amount of
> working hours. From a commercial point of view this might be regarded as an
> improvement, but my wife woul kill me and my children would call me "uncle"
> ;-)

I have a hard time trying to relate to this "don't force me to work in
one way" talk. The old templating engine will be there as long as there
are people using it right? If you don't like TV, well just uninstall it
and install the other one. That way you can have a BE that fits your
specific needs - in every area. This is pretty good usability in my
eyes. And if it's decided that the old templating engine isn't going to
make it into 5.0 - you will truly realize the beauty of open source, as
you can just recreate it yourself, or pay someone to do it for you.

> Which is still bad, since the people I am talking about are not even able to
> phrase a correct sentence when they are _speaking_. Since Word doesn't offer
> a "laguage improver" the result is still the same: Dumb! If these people are
> goin to edit content with any CMS they will always complain it is too
> complex for them and the result (if any) will be dumb too.

Wow! Who and where are these people? I bet ya there weren't any of them
walking around 20 - 30 years ago when I was a kid! Let's keep typo3 just
complex enough, so they wont know how to use it, and pollute the web
with their silly talk..

> If we really do smarten it up instead of dumbing it down, I have no problems
> with that "evolution". IMHO Anything else would be "degeneration".

Touché..

> Joey

Lasse