[TYPO3-hci] The Paradox of Choice

Jens Hoffmann werbung at baiz.org
Tue Nov 28 12:16:34 CET 2006

> No. - And I can explain why ...
> I am the end user of TYPO3 and I use it to create something for my client
> he/she can work with. The clients are only using a very small part of the
> system which is necessary to add, delete and/or edit different elements
> (content, news, sometimes users and newsletters).

For better understanding: So you mean the OS could have bad Usability,
so long the eMail-Client is fine? Why??

> The major part of TYPO3 will remain unseen for those clients so _if_ you
> want to call them "end users", they are end users of the editing features.
> They will never change a template, be it pure TS ore TV based, they will
> never use the kickstarter, they will never touch a constant. They will never
> use all the other features outside the editors view.

I don't get it why a admin/dev don't need
a better Backend or better usab.?

> This is definitely true for almost any part of TYPO3. But "Ease of use"
> doesn't necessarily mean to reduce the features or dumb down the system by
> forcing people to work in just one way just to prevent them from having to
> make a decision. For example: If you would force me to use TV because it
> would be the only templating system of this "improved" new version X.0 of
> TYPO3, all my clients would have to pay at least for the double amount of
> working hours. From a commercial point of view this might be regarded as an
> improvement, but my wife woul kill me and my children would call me "uncle"
> ;-)

A way is not a Function or Module! We, or better I was talking about
(mainly in my PPT) ways for exp. to create a new Page. There I don't
see one Pro to have in a 30px Radius 5 ways to do just 100% the same.
This is't a Future this is just bad Usability because it
confuses _every_ User.

To your exp.: I don't know where you read this?
One big Point in Typo3 is backward compatibility. So, it can't be right!

> Which is still bad, since the people I am talking about are not even able to
> phrase a correct sentence when they are _speaking_. Since Word doesn't offer
> a "laguage improver" the result is still the same: Dumb! If these people are
> goin to edit content with any CMS they will always complain it is too
> complex for them and the result (if any) will be dumb too.

Sorry I think you make it much to easy!
What hast writhing skill todo with a CMS?

> If we really do smarten it up instead of dumbing it down, I have no problems
> with that "evolution". IMHO Anything else would be "degeneration".

I have ready all this (mostly senseless) HCI posts, but i can't remember
any really discussed "dumbing it down" post. How/Where do get all this ???

Sorry, but all those discourage/bearish Posting you make, dosn't
help in any way. So do I feel! And slowly it turns me into anger.

Present as your much better solution!
It's easy to say ... all what you make just suck! (My Words.)

BTW: The guy who wrote the article has a damm skill and is a Usability
Freak!