[TYPO3-hci] Aims of real life meeting

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Nov 17 15:12:22 CET 2006

Sebastian Erlhofer wrote:
> I agree totally: we need an agenda first! So the question is: why do
> we meet? Just to "talk" about usabiliy?
>
> Lets collect the aims of the meeting, create an agenda, then the rest
> :)

Since I have been the one asking for a real life meeting maybe I should try
to describe my personal expectations.

The problem I've got with the current state of the discussions in this list
is that they are already too much concentrated on technical details and to
much focussed on classical website elements and structures.

Since the goal of the HCI team is to improve the overall usability of TYPO3
I would like to take at least two steps back and start to think about a new
definition of the term "interface".
IMHO the new technologies and especially AJAX give us lots of possibilities
to create something far beyond a simple collection of menus and icons. And
this something could make the TYPO3 Backend a real interface with a maximum
of usability _and_ accessibility.

This is why I don't expect this meeting to be kind of a code sprint but a
creative brainstorming where people from different professions come together
to create the base for a completely new approach. The result can be layouted
lateron by a team of interface designers. This layout will then be realized
by smaller teams of coders. But only the first step should happen during the
meeting. So we will know _what_ we want to do before different coders and/or
designers start wasting their precious time with the creation of prototypes
that won't make it to the stable status.

The goal should be that everybody who attended will return bearing a clear
vision of the new interface in mind. Additionally I would expect a ToDo-list
and a definite deadline for everybody who is willing and able to contribute
more than just ideas during the meeting.

Now it's your turn guys and gals ... :-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de