[TYPO3-hci] Surveys and known facts?

Staffan Ericsson staffan at zytor.com
Fri Nov 17 12:35:58 CET 2006

Patrick Broens wrote:
> Hi Staffan,
>
> +1
>
> There was already a suggestion about this from Sebastian Erlhofer in
> June. I think the best way to get to know wat a newby/regular/expert
> user thinks about TYPO3 and its usability is having a survey. We can
> invent a lot of new functionality, but are the regular users waiting for
> such improvements? After all, almost everybody in this list is not a
> regular user.

That is the first rule we all should remember. Kasper is the most
tainted user - so ignore him :-)

> The only question right now is if we can get enough regular and novice
> users to participate. That all depends on the promotion of the survey by
> the agencies who provide TYPO3 for their clients.

A massive PR campaign is needed and probably some work to get companies
with interests in TYPO3 to participate.

> You can find the draft for the survey Sebastian suggested at
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Usability_Survey
>
> To get a good impression it really needs to be updated with other
> questions then available right now.
>
> Some things we have to take care about:
> (1) The survey has to be multilingual, not only in English. A lot of
> regular users have setup their backend to their own language and don't
> know what you are talking about when using English terms only.

+ 3 And should be possible. Automatic translation as base - so that
terms stays the same. Put me up for Swedish!

> (2) Separate the questions according to the role and the experience
> users have. Don't show questions about Typoscript when the respondent is
> a newby editor.

+1 Absolutely necessary.

> (3) Use images to explain the questions and the answers provided.
> (4) There are a lot of suggestions how we can improve the usability.
> Show them in the survey and ask what the respondents think of it. For
> instance the discussion pull-down menu / tabbed menu / separate windows
> on a desktop.

> It will be quite some task to conduct a survey like this and I'm willing
> to cooperate in it, as I am the developer of pbsurvey :-))

Thats a nice addition to the work force :-)

> Maybe it is a good idea to have this survey before the -not planned-
> meeting of the HCI group. The results can be very interesting for this
> meeting.

I guess so - maybe not a huge one - but some kind of survey is probably
needed to get a grip of the situation.

.staffan, Sweden