[TYPO3-hci] PPT: Ideas to improve the Usability of Typo3 4.x / 5.0

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Thu Nov 2 23:11:36 CET 2006

Jens, Kasper, Lasse and all others of the HCI,

First thanks to Jens for his inspiring PDF. I follow the HCI list for
quite some time, but did not have any time to join it and send my
thoughts to it.

As I'm not only an extension developer but also a graphic designer with
a lot of knowledge in interface design as well, I think it is time for
me to join this list as well.

In the HCI list I never saw anybody talking about a desktop-like idea,
until I saw the PDF of Jens with a screenshot of Lasses backend skin. My
opinion is we should go this way. Thanks to Lasse for the mockup he
provided. This looks very promising.

We are not developing a piece of software like Open Office (or M$ Word,
for the commercial freaks) but a huge framework which is actually a
collection of separate applications.

Every user is familiar with a desktop, it is in all the operating
systems and work 'almost' all the same. You have a taskbar, windows you
can open, move around, minimize or maximize them or drag the corner to
shape it your own way, icons on the desktop like shortcuts. This way the
user can resize its windows to its preferred size to save space on the
screen and open multiple screens which are usefull for the session of
the user. It is also easier to switch between applications (modules)
inside the framework.

I had this ideas about TYPO3 for quite some time and discovered I was
not the only one who had this idea about how a CMS should look.

I don't know if anybody is familiar with the commercial Sitecore. They
actually did it already. I've put a screenshot on my website (sorry, but
my monitor of my laptop is running on 1920 pixels width)
http://www.patrickbroens.nl/fileadmin/user_upload/Sitecore.jpg. It shows
a part of the desktop, the taskbar at the bottom, the 'Start' menu and
some windows of the applications inside of Sitecore. As you can see in
the layout, the people of Sitecore are big friends of M$. But it is
beautiful to see and works like a charm.

I'm offering help in the ideas and graphic design of the desktop from
Lasse. He has already done a great job with the windows so please
continue with that :-) Just let me know.

Cheers,

Patrick