[TYPO3-hci] One night with Typo3...

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Thu May 25 01:52:56 CEST 2006

Hi Joey,
> Well - nothing in real life works without a trade-off as long as you are
> part of that something that is called "society".

Sadly true! But Typo3 is a CMS and not the society. Or is it?
> But I don't agree with the above statement.
> A complex software can still be very easy to use and IMHO TYPO3 is a good
> example for it.

Yeah - but there is room for improvements. Once again: I don´t want to
blame typoscript for anything. I just say that the *default* way of
using it should be different. Mainly
you have scenarios of dynamic and static data. Mixing configs and
templates and defaults is just not necessary to my opinion. Its more
about carefully rearranging and generally "open" possibilities.
Everything is there but arranged non-intuitive and often kind of cheeky
(means "vorlaut" in german). And the saying that someone who isnt able
to program php can still use typoscript doesnt convince me. With PHP you
will come further in the end (you could even program a CMS :)

> For me a "user" is someone who works with TYPO3 as an editor.
> He fills in content elements, news items or the like to modify the content
> that is shown in the frontend for the visitors of the site.
> With a properly configured Backend, he can do that in a very intuitive and
> comfortable way.
> So the ease of _use_ is already there, even though it still might be
> improved in different ways.
> If you compare TYPO3 to a car, the "user" would be the driver. And driving
> this car is very easy.

Its very ok regarding the possibilities but i wouldn´t say its very
easy. And configuration is often *really* painful.
> If the driver has got some problems with his car or maybe wants some
> additional stuff, like a CD player, GPS, better wheel rims or whatever he
> usually asks his local motor mechanic.
> In TYPO3 terms this would be the admin or a consultant, who has got admin
> rights and is able to setup the system with different ready made parts that
> just have to be modified a bit to fit the users needs.
> Of course this can't be done without deeper knowledge compared to the user.
> Even if the user is an engineer creating complex machines he doesn't
> necessarily know how to modify a car.
> So if the user is not able or willing to learn this stuff for whatever
> reason, he will be forced to ask such a consultant.

There will always be a demand for an expert - sure. But even experts or
people who want to become one may complain about weired or unnecessarily
complicated ways doing things. If i am good mechanic in general i may be
able to invent something new even :) Sometimes you need a fresh pair of
eyes to see the obvious (can i have some? ;)
> This has nothing to do with usability problems. You just have to learn your
> lessons.

You learned your lessons i guess. I am working with typo3 for many years
now and still feel like typoscript is not the heart of typo3. I think it
is also part of the performance issues but thats just a guess into the
blue i have to admit.

- Johannes