[TYPO3-hci] Backend in "Mambo"-Mode

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Wed May 24 11:35:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm starting from the original post since a lot of people have expressed
a lot of ideas/opinions, and I wanted to just explain my experiences
with editors learning and using the BE interface.

I've trained, to date, a few hundred "ordinary" editors to maintain T3
sites. These people ranged from skilled computer users with years of
experience working on computers and networks, all the way down to one
user who had purchased his first computer the month before and I had to
train him through MSN Messenger. I've trained people to use a lot of
extensions, including news, direct mail, workflow and the chc_forum. In
only a few cases (two that I can recall at the moment) did the editor
take more than 1/2 hour to train to do all the tasks they needed to
perform, and one of the two who had difficulty with the training did so
because she was used to the old way of working with a website and
couldn't wrap her mind around the differences between Adobe GoLive and a
CMS. The other who had difficulty just kept forgetting things, in general.

Like any training, whether it's for driving a car, making dinner or
using a complex piece of software, the training needs 3 elements to be
successful:
1. A good UI that allows a user to do a task rather than figure out how
to use the system.
2. A good teacher who knows the system well enough to present the tasks
clearly, without hesitation.
3. A good teacher who knows the target audience well enough to translate
technical knowledge into "ordinary" language for the audience.

Looking at each one individually:
1. TYPO3 has one of the best interfaces, in terms of usability. Yes,
there is a lot of stuff there to confuse new editors if an admin doesn't
restrict what they see, but that is because of the depth of features
TYPO3 has. Like anything else, the more stuff you have, the more space
you need to store it if you want easy access to it when you need it.
Since someone with less than a month of computer experience (a complete
novice in all aspects of the word) is able to not only learn how to edit
their site in 30 minutes of training over MSN Messenger, but is able to
intuit how to do things he hasn't been shown the next day on his own,
this is an indication that for someone interacting with the interface
with no preconceptions the interface is intuitive and well-designed. So
any UI difficulties may be assumed to be a result of preconceptions on
the part of the user (see point 3, below). The UI needs to facilitate
tasks, and a big button with a little drawing on it may not be intuitive
just because it's big and in the middle of the page. There are hundreds
of poorly-designed icons floating around out there, but when I have told
editors "click on the pencil to edit an existing record", they have gone
straight for the pencil icon each time.
2. In order to be "good", a teacher needs to know how to teach, and they
can be better or worse depending on what it is being taught. Someone
good at teaching language may not be good at teaching physics. So the
teacher needs to know the system well enough to not be stumbling around
during training, looking for what they are trying to demonstrate.
Presenting the tasks clearly in 1-2-3 format goes a long way in helping
someone learn "click Page, click the page name in the tree, click the
New Content button".
3. In order to be "good", a teacher also needs to know the target
audience well enough to translate any technical knowledge into terms the
user will understand. Many people who work in an office on a computer
only work on computers because it's the tool that helps them do their
job. Often, they say "computer" when they're talking about the monitor,
and have no idea what a "CPU" is. "Click-and-drag" can be an alien term
to them, and many of them leave documents open when they leave work for
the day, so saving after entering each content record may not be
something they would naturally think to do. Just knowing to specify
"click with the left mouse button" instead of "click here" can sometimes
help a new editor learn the system more quickly.

Perhaps "improvements" to the HCI don't have to mean changing what we
already have, but may instead mean training aids for those who have to
train editors. In other words, resources for an admin to help them learn
the system and be able to teach it to their editors more quickly. Being
a new user doesn't mean they are a stupid user, just that they need to
learn how to do a limited number of tasks they didn't know how to do
before. Maybe the documentation and video collections can be reviewed
with this in mind, to develop an additional set of documentation
designed for training editors rather than developers and administrators.

Just my 22cents. :)

Alex