[TYPO3-hci] Let's try to aks the users!

Irene Höppner ih at abezet.de
Tue May 23 16:39:59 CEST 2006

>> "less ways to do it" doesn't go well with "great variety.
>> IMHO it's one of the major advantages of TYPO3 that there is always more
>> than one way leading to the same goal.
>
> This may be okay for templating etc. but for UI it just means
> inconsistency.

I agree with JoH, even for "normal" Editors. When we do coaching, we
always show one way to do the same thing. This is pretty important not to
confuse people during the training.
But after a while I experience that some editors found an other way to do
things, which they like much more than the one I showed them. There are
ppl that like to use the context menu always to edit a page header and
others that like to use the pencil much more.
So my conclusion is, that there a different "types" of editors - which is
not surprising as each human is different. And as long as we keep
different ways to do things, we have a chance to satisfy more than one of
these "types" of editors.
I guess the discussion about which ways will be the ones to remove and
which ways will be the ones to keep will be very interesting :-).

Probably we also have to think about the different kinds of Editors
concerning the frequency they are using Typo3: Ppl who are using the
Backend often maybe like the more-ways-to-do-style, while on the other
hand ppl who just login once a month to add a few news need an
assistant-like style - having both options would be my favorite right now.

>> I would prefer "more possibilities to disable/enable different ways of
>> doing
>> things".
>> This way we could have a fully blown feature rich TYPO3 for the power
>> user
>> as well as the minimalistic one way solution for the anxious newbie.

+1

> The problem is that 99% of the end users don't know or care that button
> X can actually be disabled, etc. I think even in this list when people
> complain about the BE being too complex for beginners, most of them
> haven't actually seen a properly configured BE (which *can* be done with
> TSConfig).

+1

>> Even though I have to admit that these things could still be improved.
>> Maybe it's a good idea to change the default behaviour of the backend
>> just
>> by enabling different features that are already there but not very well
>> known to most of the users.
>> Things like "save and new", page uids in front of the titles in the page
>> tree, editing more than one content element at once, predefined actions
>> of
>> the most common tasks ... the list is almost endless.

+1

> Ack, there are best practices of BE configuration now, but they are not
> obvious enough, and they require more efforts than even most agencies
> seem to be willing or able to deliver to their customers. I've got the
> impression that in most cases, the people deploying TYPO3 only care
> about FE features and templating and extension, whereas the completely
> configurable BE is neglected and *then* people start complaining about
> UI complexity.

Right!

Greets,

Irene