[TYPO3-hci] Producing "reports" with TYPO3

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri May 19 17:29:04 CEST 2006

Jean-Baptiste Rio wrote:

> I completly understand your point of view. I just want let you know that
> i make no money with my Typo3 sites because they are community sites.
> It's my hobby, in a way :) That's why i have interest in extension
> sharing because it saves my sleep and family time, nothing else ;) But
> it's true  that somehow it's not clear how people can earn money if they
> share their work... Maybe with two levels of extension, basic functions
> for free and premium version with a fee ?

I handle this question like the follwing (pherhaps somehow is like a Marxistic Communistic
model :)

I do work ... for an specific amount of time ... I want to get money which is equal to the
amount of time I invested. After this amount of money has been paid (By one single company
or three smaller doesn't care) I put the extensions into TER.

So I do not want to earn money with something one time created and then thousand times copied.
(Like it is usual in the "normal" software world).

The drawback is that some companies feel not very well with paying money while others get
the same product later for free ....
But this does not relate to all companies ... Some are very open-minded to open-source and respect
that it can only work if "someone" pays for the work ...

It should be clear to every company that if they pay for some special extension that they already got
a full featured CMS and many "free" extensions "BEFORE" without paying for it ...

In my opinion it is not clear to some bosses that what they use for free has been paid by someone at
some time before ... and that it is their turn now to invest something to improve the overall product.

PS: Jean, I know your name since a long time from the mailinglists and trust you somehow ... and if you
gurantee me that you will not publish the extension anywhere (put it in TER) I have no problems sending
it to you at all ... presumed you use it for non-commercial sites.

PPS: I'm sure you have another "normal" Job ... as noone can live from a hobby ...

greets,
Bernhard