[TYPO3-hci] Hello / introduction

Sebastian Erlhofer erlhofer at mindshape.de
Thu May 18 09:25:04 CEST 2006

Hello to everybody,

I will take part in this group from now on and wanna briefly introduce
myself.

My name is Sebastian, 26 years old and I am living in Germany, Trier
(the nice old roman city in the very west). I studied media science with
  main focus on reception studies, usability and search engines.
I wrote a book about Search Engine Optimization and Usability
("Suchmaschinen-Optimierung für Webentwickler") and conducted many
usability-tests, mainly with the thinking aloud method and eye-tracking
in the lab.

I am using typo3 mainly for our customers through my media agency
(mindshape) - thats how I came in contact about 2-3 years ago. We are
experienced with using typo3, developing extensions and introducing
customers (and noncustomers) into using typo3. The recent project is the
relaunch for www.uni-trier.de (website of university of trier) in typo3.
Usability will play an enormous role due to the heterogeneous usergroup.

My postulate... :)

1) View the thinks though the eyes of a novice (BE-)user.
2) Don't be too technical in this view, but be technical in developing
suitable solutions.
3) Lets be non-ambiguous: Once learned functions / concepts should be
usabile all around the system.
4) Ease of use is important.
5) Test the usability, improof the interface, test again and so forth.

In my eyes typo3 has to be improved in different areas for different
persons:
1) BE-Users with low knowledge - I call them editors. They should easily
put content on a site without being confused where to click and what to
do. That includes a easy-to-understand (and perhaps guided)
workflow/task-system.
2) BE-Users which administrate the system - admins. They are more used
to typo3 because they commonly use it more often. Things can be a bit
more complicated, but still should accomplish the postulate :)
3) FE-Users: In means of everydays visitor with or without logged in.
This primarily means, that possibilities for developing FE-Extensions
should be improved, because the FE-Users are even more seldom in contact
with typo3-functions/look&feel.

I'll stop here :)
I try to contribute here to make typo3 even better and more comfortable
to all users. Feel free to contact me all time.

Greetings and lets develop a "ease of use" typo3.
-sebastian

PS: I cannot handle a snowboard or ski yet :)