[TYPO3-hci] Consistency between programs

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Wed May 17 02:22:10 CEST 2006

Benjamin Wilger wrote:

> Another thing to mention is the "Configuration" Module. It does not only
> just SHOW (without an direct way to change it) the Typo3 configuration,
> either it is not the only configuration of Typo3 (TypoScript, TSconf)
> available. The real module for configurating the typo3conf is the
> "Installation" Module, which is actually an installer plus a full
> featured configuration editor (which is just fine but misplaced). As a
> beginner in Typo3 I was very confused about the fact, that there is no
> intuitive interface for the configuration of Typo3. All the available
> configuration is widely spread around the whole system. You can find
> something in the installer, the other stuff in TSconf and so on.
>
> Everybody is used to *one* central module for configuration.

No ... not really ... In Word for example you can configure your complete
workspace and it will show up every time you start the application (global
configuration like in the install tool) ...

but then you can also save macros for example with each single document which
will only be valid when this document is opened - this can get compared with
page/user TS config where pages would equal word-documents and such a thing as
Windows-user bound macros in word isn't there ... AFAIK ...

The TypoScript again could get compared to the markup of your word(XML/BINARY) file
which defines how the document get's rendered ... in case of typoscript how a single
page gets rendered. TypoScript again is not available in the Backend so most BE configuration
is done via TSconfig.

You can not compare those in all cases as Word does not have such things as Backend and
Frontend view ... or FE/BE users ...

but as the complexity in programs/applications get bigger there will become more places
on where you have to configure different aspects of the system.

I think a nice example directly from the T3 world is the difference between Page and User/Group
TSconfig.
Some statements can get written in either of them ... so it is up to your decision that they have
to get entered in different places (once where the pages are stored the other time where the users
are) and you end up with different behaviour ....

greets,
Bernhard