[TYPO3-hci] Starting the HCI team

Bas v.d. Wiel bas at kompasmedia.nl
Tue May 16 22:03:49 CEST 2006

Hi Kasper and others,
In the past year or so I gathered a lot of feedback from users of small,
medium and now also a very large TYPO3 implementation. Right now I'm in
the process of moving house, so everything's packed up in boxes
(including my notes) but the most important from the top of my head:

- way too many alternative ways of doing things in the BE.
- default content elements visually have a 'special' status in the BE
(different icons, positions) for no apparent reason other than legacy.
- A 12" mac laptop is too small to work comfortably in the normal BE
layout, got this complaint 4 out of 5 times. Condensed layout works, but
is cumbersome.
- Clicking on the icon of a record does something else than clicking on
the label, especially in the page tree. This confuses inexperienced
editors. The get used to "the TYPO3 way" eventually, but it throws many
first-timers off.
- The rigid 4 columns representation in the BE has got to go. I'd love
to have a method to visually imitate the frontend design in the BE so
that editable "zones" (the old columns) actually match the real site layout.
- Faster loading page tree. When a site contains thousands of pages, it
can take over 10 seconds to load the page tree. That's a long pause if
all you want to do is add a link to a page. I've seen Vignette do this
much faster with a page tree implemented as a Java applet.. (gets ready
to dodge the flames)
- Search option in the page tree area so you can quickly find a page
based on its title.
- For the admins: a new and stable GIFBUILDER that does away with the
ImageMagick version hell. I consider this a major 'gremlin'.

I'm very busy learning as much as I can about the internals of TYPO3 so
I hope to be able to contribute actual code soon.. ;-)

Bas