[TYPO3-hci] Starting the HCI team

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Tue May 16 20:40:53 CEST 2006

Hello Patrick,

> And for the serious part, I think we should aim at "Task oriented",
> "Roles" scenarios to get a grip of what's missing/needed.

I you have the same understanding of task oriented/roles than me, I agree.
I was participating in an usability study for a Norwegian Software Company
about 8 years ago. Their program has about 30 000 end users (archive/document
software for public sector). All testing was done doing specific tasks and
tasks for different roles.

> Programmers are not the people we should ask for opinions on this.
> Really. In reality, some of us had great End user feedback in the past
> and this should be the first step: What are contributor's need?

Fully agree! Editors and Administrators (everyday admins, not people who
develop sites) are probably the usergroups who whe should really ask about
usability.

> Other "meta" questions could be:
>
> - What the competition is doing right for their editors?
> (popular like Joomla and "pro" like Documentum)

I have the impression that Joomla isn't really easier for the end user. But
I may be wrong.

> - Do we follow trendy stuff at all cost?
> - What are the complains that we see often in our mailing lists?
>
> And stuff like that.

We should also ask which part of the BE editors really like.

Maybe an idea to put together a team who is going to "do" an "quick" usability
study. Not a big test, but to try to sort all the information about TYPO3
and usability who already are in the list and in the heads of people working
close to end users. So this shouldn't be a team of developers. The teams
goal, get on the table a "shortlist" of necessary improvments in usability.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no