[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Thu Jun 15 23:39:37 CEST 2006

Hi Phillip,

Phillip wrote:
> One thing that bothers me about T3 (front and backend) is the
> obnoxious Triptichon paradigm. Left, Normal, Right, Border. Enforcing
> (at least verbaly) left-aligned 1999ish column layouts.
For usability, having a standard layout isn't obnoxious, it's sensible.
End users currently have 2 editing paradigms, the BE column view which
is fixed and consistent, and the FE direct editing on the page in the
"real" locations. In the BE, editors can be trained with their specific
site to know which column goes where, which is never a problem. If
people get confused then it means they weren't trained well. In
addition, having standard layouts means documentation can be created
that demonstrate how to use the site for 100% of the content editors
instead of having to create documentation for each site after it's been
created based on that site's setup. Even with the differences between
the classic BE and a TV BE can be hard if documentation was written
using one BE or another. Now you have to have 2 sets of docs for the
same set of actions and tasks. Taking this concept further, look at the
Maya 3D interface, with a selling point being that it's very
configurable. Next, what happens, as in the case of my brother who took
a course on using Maya and the first week was spent having everyone in
the class reconfigure their interfaces to match the teacher's so that
the teacher could effectively teach. Now, all of a sudden, every Maya
book and tutorial available in stores and on the Internet becomes
instantly harder to follow. There is a reason that MS Word and
Photoshop's interfaces haven't changed significantly in 15 years, and
aren't especially customizable by IT or end users.
> Naming should
> be more abstract (Segments) and one should be able to define the
> amount of Layout segments by oneself. I know this is yet another
> architecture thing, but one that is once again strongly tied to
> backend usability.

I agree, but usability for the majority can be enhanced by promoting a
good standard interface rather than putting hours and money into
creating a customizable interface that makes it more difficult or time
consuming to teach editors to use. The hours and money should be put in
refining the standard interface so that it is the easiest to use, learn
and teach. It can be the difference between a site developer spending
another 20 hours just for documentation for their users because the
standard 1000 pages and hours of video don't make sense any more. And
would the developer upload all of their docs to TYPO3.org so that the
rest of us can benefit from them? Personally, I'd rather spend those 20
hours per project relaxing or working on a new project and guide my
editors to the existing docs and videos. That's usability on a
big-picture scale that you can't get by having an infinitely-tweakable
interface on a per-project basis.

> Shouldn't we start shedding that in the backend already? I mean,
> Triptichon Layout could be something like a default preset, but
> naming and layout of the "Move Element" view should be customizable
> to fit the templated grid.

I agree that labels and namings could be refined in some cases, but
those refinements are what we should be concerned about instead of an
interface that can be customized infinitely for each installation or BE
user.

Cheers,
Alex