[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 23:14:40 CEST 2006

Okay, let's start simple. :)

On 7/31/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> Alternative page module (TemplaVoila) resemble this (it doesn't just
> have text with icons and no content- element related extra information)
>
> http://t3test.xetpoint.com/media/development/backendediting5.png
>

> give suggestion how to improve that - IMO usings many separate content
> areas and content elements in order to get necessary configuration and
> flexibility

There are lots of buttons. :)
I doubt that at least "Hide" is very important (maybe it could move to
the context-menu), but I'm not absolutely sure.

Why is the "Paste" button not always next to the button "New content
after this one"? That makes it more obvious what will happen. In the
current scheme you might wonder whether pasting will overwrite the
other item or whether the new item will be placed below or above the
other item.

It's not obvious that you can click the record's icon to access a
context-menu. All buttons and clickable elements should stick out
(3D-effect).

There is no good separation between each record. The row with the "New
content ..." button should get a different background color, so the
page looks cleaner.

The content buttons have too long labels. Why can't they just be
called "Add Content"? Isn't it obvious where the record will be
placed? Also, a nicer icon can indicate what will happen (visualize
whether it will be placed between two items or at the top or bottom).

The record's context-menu is too overloaded. Why do items that already
appear as buttons next to the record have to be shown in the
context-menu, too? Context-menus should mostly be used for accessing
hidden functionality, not functionality that can be accessed via
buttons directly next to the item.

Can't the row at the top (page name and buttons) replace the
PAGECONTENT row or at least PAGECONTENT go away? It only takes up
screen space and has no real function (the rows already mention the
word "Content" and an "Add Content" would make it obvious, too).

The context-menu when clicking on a page icon is very overloaded, too.
* there is "hide" and "visibility settings"
* is "Info" really so important that it has to be directly accessible?
* why does "Web>List" have to be directly accessible?
* in general, some items can either be moved to a submenu or be removed entirely

In the left-most navbar why do we need "Info" and "Functions"? Can't
they be moved to a less obvious place? IMHO they are not important
enough to be always visible.

Then, why is there a distinction between images and files? Can't Typo3
automtically recognize the file type?

And pretty please fix the BE-FE user separation. :)

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald