[TYPO3-hci] Starting the HCI team

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 08:48:26 CEST 2006

> And for the serious part, I think we should aim at "Task oriented",
> "Roles" scenarios to get a grip of what's missing/needed.

I agree with this a lot. Past UI's tend to focus on roles yet in practice
people need to get a task done and so the functional approach is desired.

I enjoyed:
http://194.117.233.66/t3dl/scenario/

BUT, focussing on the tasks step by step has a serious risk of becoming too
patronising or FisherPrice and harder for fast IT admins to get the same
jobs done.

In my mind this involves retaining the essence of the BE as it works for
TYPO3 admins but reworking the FE editing into a more task orientated
interface.

One idea is to include a functional frame at the side of the screen with
core functions leading to micro wizards while still showing the FE website
with hot areas to perform the function itself. This is almost there already
with the BE view module.

I think I'd like to see not two interfaces that never meet but a functional
FE UI that reuses elements from the BE so over time FE users start to learn
the BE way at the same time. This would increase confidence for normal
users to grow towards the admin level functions.

However, at this stage do we really know what is wrong if anything with
TYPO3?

Matthew