[TYPO3-dam-devel] FAL module for DAM?

Christian Weiske christian.weiske at netresearch.de
Mon Sep 17 09:18:37 CEST 2012

Hello Chris,

> "DAM 1.3 will be released in July 2012. This will be the last feature
> release for DAM and will be compatible with TYPO3 4.5+. It is planned
> to maintain DAM until the end of life of TYPO3 4.5.
>
> The main DAM functionalities will be in TYPO3 core starting with
> TYPO3 6.0. We aim to work on an extension Media Management that
> provides the important DAM features that will not be part of the
> core. More information on this topic will follow at a later time."

So in TYPO3 6.0, DAM will completely be replaced by the Media
Management extension?
Is there a migration path already? E.g. a script to convert a DAM
database to the Media Management database?

AFAIK, TYPO3 6.0 shall be released in October 2012[1], which is in one
month. I doubt that the Media Management will be on-par with DAM
feature-wise, and don't think that even the most used features of DAM
are in it at that time.
Do I see this wrong? What features are planned for 6.0?

We thought that having a FAL layer for DAM would make it possible to
use FAL with a large bunch of existing media files, even if the media
management extension is not ready yet.

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/roadmap

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-= Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 =-