[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9777: Usability issues with the DAM media browser

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Sat Jan 15 21:42:42 CET 2011

Hi everyone,

this is an SVN patch request.

Type: UX improvment

Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9777

Branches: trunk

Problem:
 From a UX point of view, the DAM media browser has some annoying glitches:

- The page browser is only shown on top of the list, so if you don't
find a file, you first have to scroll up to find out that there are more
files on other pages. There must be a second page browser after the list.

- The search box is "hidden" at the very bottom of the media browser. As
it is very useful it should be on top.

- Media browser elements like "Selection" and "Sorting" are located on
top of the whole element browser. But they only affect the file listing.
So they should be placed the a new position on top of the list.

Solution:
I cleaned up the media browser based on a mockup I made earlier this
year. Some things would need more fundamental changes and therefore they
would need a lot of time. So I think found a reasonable compromise (see
before.png and after.png).

Notes:
Tested on Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer 8.

I removed the display of allowed file types. In my opinion it is only a
waste of space to display them - they are always displayed before
opening the media browser.

I'm very open for improvements of the patch.

Best regards,

Lorenz