[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #12525: Adding metadata or category to a file duplicates the file in table tx_dam [DBAL]

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Fri Jul 9 13:39:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I´m no databaseguru at all - so maybe this is a stupid question:
>
> I know that MySQL 5.1 will be able to handle varchar(4000) but: is this true for 5.0 as well?
> I think we have to keep in mind, that the majority of all installations is run on MySql and the majority of those on 5.0...

Well, the reference on mysql.com says:

The length can be specified as a value from 0 to 255 before MySQL 5.0.3,
and 0 to 65,535 in 5.0.3 and later versions.

So yes, it handles 4000 characters. But I proposed the limit of Oracle.
I'm quite sure even 4000 characters is way too much for any decent file
organization in a website. Limiting this to 1000 should be large enough.

Best
Xavier