[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9403: Missing media types: psd and odt

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon Oct 20 17:23:07 CEST 2008

Hi Dan,

first a big thanks for the patch, but I think we need to discuss this
bit a little more.

Dan Osipov wrote:
> Question understood. Here is my thinking:
>
>  > Now, for type text we can get rid of all the stuff we
>  > need for images. From this point of view I would prefer to see .odt
>  > under text, where we find .doc btw.
>
> I thought text files were automatically available for editing with the
> internal editor, but after testing, apparently its not true. Which way
> we declare odt type doesn't really matter to me, but I agree that it
> should be kept consistent - so if we keep it as application, I would
> move doc to be application as well.

I prefer the other way round: move sxw,odt and the like under media_type
text. Reasons:
1) Other than the mime type, the media type in DAM is primarily intended
to be a means a human oriented categorization of files, so it is a
helper for ordinary authors to find media items and they will think of
doc and odt as text and not as application. That this is the primary
intention of media_type is stated in the current docs, see chapter Mime
types and media types.

2) In $TCA the field media_type is defined as the type field, so it is
our means to decide which fields are shown in BE. A psd file has width
and length, odt, doc, pdf have e.g. pages, while videos and audios have
a playlength and so on.

3) In future versions of DAM we might also want to have versions of a
file (a text might exist as doc,pdf, and odt, all sharing stuff like
title, abstract, keywords, categories). An image might be available as
psd, tiff, jpeg and so on.

>  > I also wonder whether it is a wise move to create a new media type for
>  > psd.
>
> Yes, it needs metadata, but it can't be pulled using the same methods as
> for JPG images (IPTC/EXIF, etc). It is my understanding, that using the
> separate type, services could be created to pull this metadata.

I do not think that we need a special media_type just because we need a
new service. Take doc as an example: There is a special service for it,
but the media_type is text. Same counts for PDF and AI, the latter
categorized as image.

> Also, psd is not truly an image, as it can't be rendered in web browser,
> or processed by IM (?). Declaring it as a new media type also gives it a
> special icon - so that it is separated from other files in the list - I
> would even argue for using special icons for all files in the future.
>
>  > Why does DAM need the information whether or not a file needs a special
>  > software to open it?
>
> If a file is declared as an image, the info module changes dramatically.
> Thumbnail is rendered, options change, etc. Each media type gets its own
> info module. I think that's the only reason for the 12 - now 13 - types.

cdr, bmp, tiff are all under image, and they cannot be rendered by the
browsers.

Again, I hope it makes sense what I have written ...

Uschi (who at times gets really confused with DAM)