[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC #9113: Render new image in RTE-enabled content when the file name is changed in DAM record

Stanislas Rolland typo3 at sjbr.ca
Sun Aug 10 06:06:51 CEST 2008

Hi Dan,

> * Neither the reference, nor file copy count are updated when the image
> is inserted through the RTE. I thought that was one of the features of
> this patch, no?
No, it was not. That would require another patch to the DAM custom RTE
transformation.

> * Is there documentation that differentiates between the magic image and
> plain image? I see the plain image is using the url of the file
> uploaded, but the magic image is copying the file to a different
> location. What are the benefits of using one vs the other?
The "magic" is that the copied image is resized to the specified
dimensions so that it would be faster to load on the frontend page than
the presumably larger original "plain" image. If the image file is
changed in the DAM table, the patch ensures that the "magic" image is
regenerated using the new file and the same dimensions.

Magic images are a standard feature of TYPO3 image handling, but I can't
find where their use is documented.

> * Reading through the patch, it doesn't look like it touches the "Drag
> 'n' Drop" tab functionality. That tab doesn't really work for me. Should
> it be removed? Should that functionality be added to "Magic Image" tab,
> to make it really magic?
Thank you for raising this issue! I found that drag n' drop is in fact
broken following the previous patches. The additional attached patch
will fix this misbehaviour and ensure that the txdam attribute of the
dropped image is properly set. The dropped image is a "plain" image that
refers to the original image, not a magic one.

> * Should the "Enable the DAM media browser [enableDAMBrowser]" constant
> be removed from RTE set up, since it renders this functionality useless?
It still works for DAM 1.0. I am not sure that the EM allows conditional
display of this setup, but I think we should at least change the text in
order make it clear that it applies only do DAM 1.0, and ignore the
setting if the installed version of DAM is greater.

> * Assuming this patch is applied before 1.1 is released, would Typo3
> 4.2.2 be a requirement for DAM 1.1?
Yes, previous patches make TYPO3 4.2.2 a requirement for DAM 1.1.

> Other than that, great work! +1 from me.
Thank you for testing. Please retry the drag 'n drop tab after applying
the attached patch.

Best regards,
Stanislas