[TYPO3-dam-devel] Branches of DAM

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Oct 15 14:12:12 CEST 2007

Hi guys,

maybe you have noticed that I created a branch for all extensions in SVN.
For those who don't know what this is, here is a short description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)#Branching_and_tagging

Basically, we use Trunk only for "bleeding edge" development. As soon as a
version is close to be released (e.g. DAM 1.1) it should be "branched"
which means that a copy of Trunk is put into the branches/ directory.

Also, please note that unlike CVS, there is no "HEAD" branch in Subversion.
Instead, "HEAD" is a shortcut for the latest revision of any branch (be it
branches/dam_XXX/ or trunk/).

So here is the question:

- Should bugfixes be committed to the dam_1-0 branch too?
  (This means: Do you plan to release further versions of DAM 1.0.x?)

- When do you want to create the branch for DAM 1.1? (In TYPO3core we
  usually do so right before releasing the first Release Candiate. Since
  René already did that, this will be later anyway...)

IMPORTANT:
When working with branches you should always be aware that this does not
work automatically!! If you fix a bug in the branch only, you need to fix
it in Trunk as well.

Therefore it is wise to find a good moment for creating and switching to the
branch. Otherwise all work needs to be done twice.

However, if you plan to add new features, you will need the separation from
Trunk.

If you have questions, just ask me.

- michael
--