[TYPO3-dam-devel] RFC: Suggestion for 5651 and 5697

Michiel Roos michiel at netcreators.com
Thu Nov 15 09:55:53 CET 2007

Peter Kuehn [wmdb] wrote:
> Hi yall,
>
> two tickets go in the same direction:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=5651
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=5697
>
> I agree with Rene who wrote in 5651:
> "Displaying the upload progress with PHP and JavaScript is just ugly.
> That's why this might not be fixed unless a good solution is available."
>
> id love to replace this with
> http://swfupload.mammon.se/index.php
>
> which would add a few really cool possibilities for the user like
> selecting multiple files at once by ctrl-a in the select file dialog.
>
> what do think about that?

Although it's surely a nifty solution, it's pretty hi tech. Some systems
may not have flash installed. I have used an amd64 notebook with 64 bit
Linux for over a year and there is still no flash player available for
64 bit Linux. Since I was reluctant to hack my way around that by
installing a static 32 bit firefox . . .  I lived without flash for over
a year on that system.

So I propose a low tec solution that at least gives the user the
impression that some work is actually being done. Giving the impression
that the work is already finished while it is actually still in progress
is BAD (the way it works now).

If we really need to fix this feature now . . . I propose the following
low tech solution:

http://www.theage.com.au/images/gmaps/loading.gif
> ah - and michiel: im not talking bout adding a new feature - just about
> solving bugs ;)

Well . . . although I can understand that customers hate the way it
works, it's more in the feature league if you ask me. It does not
actually severly break the dam as the broken file selection (From within
RTE) does. So all of us would be better of if we direct our energy
towards those nasty bugs.

Kind regards,

Michiel Roos

--
Netcreators BV :: creation and innovation
www.netcreators.com

Interesse in werken bij Netcreators?
http://www.netcreators.com/bedrijf/vacatures/