[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 Usability & Backend Apps

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Sat May 2 16:13:46 CEST 2015

Hi everybody,

first: Welcome & thanks Andi for accepting the challenge of digging
deeper into the TYPO3 CMS Core and working on the crucial path of a
better user experience for editors! Not the easiest topic.. ;)

For those that are confronted with the "backend apps" or "focus apps"
thingy the first time, I'd like to share some thoughts with you that
have been grown during T3UXW14 last year.

First there are some slides from Mattes putting some more light on the
sub-topics and current drawbacks [1]:
https://jira.typo3.org/secure/attachment/11200/Backend%20Module%20Toolbox.pdf

Thus, the "backend apps" project is about creating dedicated,
extensible, reusable components (or "modules") to streamline editors'
workflow. And some of these components (e.g. a listing module) needs to
interact with other, different components, like a clipboard, page-tree
or notification widget.

These features are available already within the current TYPO3 CMS
backend, sure there's a page-tree and new notification widget and the
famous list-module.
However, the backend user list view reinvents the concept of searching
and filtering again since the basic list module does not fulfil the
demands. The category tree, element browser tree and the file tree are
very different to the mentioned page-tree...

The challenge is now, to identify how things can be "merged" in general
and how those could be turned into configurable and extensible
components. Thus, the project also touches data-binding and technical
encapsulation, like e.g. web components [2] does already.

So, please support Andi to identify more of these challenges and also
share your thoughts about it. I'm sure everybody wondered about the
differences of the current "Web>Page" and "Web>List" module... ;)

Thanks & All the best
Olly

[1]
https://jira.typo3.org/secure/attachment/11200/Backend%20Module%20Toolbox.pdf