[TYPO3-core] Common reStructuredText mistakes in "core" Changelog

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Jan 22 14:20:31 CET 2015

Hi all,

Having toyed a bit with the documentation contained in the "core"
sysext, I realized that it totalled 216 errors when its reST markup was
rendered to HTML. I went ahead and checked all files, resulting in a
cleanup that I just merged [1].

I wanted to give you some feedback here about the most common mistakes
that I found, so that you can avoid them in the future:

-- there must be a blank line after a ".. code-block::" directive
-- don't use arbitrary text roles like ":php:" or ":javascript". This is
not recognized. Simply use ":code:".
-- don't put white spaces before list markers, i.e. don't do:

  - a
  - b

but:

- a
- b

Lines starting with arbitrary white spaces will be rendered as block quotes.

-- _ccc_ not valid inline markup. Use :code:`ccc` for code or *ccc* for
emphasis

And now some best practices used by the Documentation Team:

-- avoid using "::" for code blocks, better use the ".. code-block::"
directive, because you can define the language for syntax highlighting.
And BTW, there's no ".." after the code block.
-- don't wrap lines inside code blocks. Let the rendering manage it.
-- for lists, we use "-" instead of "*", although the latter works fine too.

And one piece of information: if you want to write a simple asterisk,
you need to escape it: \*

Happy documenting!

--

Francois Suter