[TYPO3-core] After the LTS is before the LTS

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Thu Jun 26 15:23:24 CEST 2014

Hi Ernesto, hi all!

thanks for the proposal and for opening the discussion. Good to have
this possibility.

I understand the effort for trying to gain more feedback, but I am not
sure if it will work. Why should it? With new LTS releases every 18
months, I would rather say that even more people will only use the LTS.

More use of LTS means fewer feedback from non-LTS releases. Unlike
before, we won't get feedback about a 6 month old release, instead it
will be up to 18 months old. Prove me wrong...

If we want to increase adoption, then I think the naming and the
versioning must be clear for everyone. Right now I think it is too
complicated:

- The name "EAR" needs explanation. Why is it needed at all? There is
the LTS and non-LTS - so why is it needed to add a tag which nobody
understands?

- The version numbering is too complicated. It needs too much
explanation for my taste. Just have a look at the news article in the
German PHP Magazin [1] which first needed a correction by Ernesto...

Unfortunately I could not attend at T3DD14 so I don't know how much
feedback from agencies has been brought back so far. In my opinion, we
should not only discuss this from a programmers point of view but also
ask the agencies about their expectations. As a suggestion, you might
talk to the marketing team about it. I think they know best how well
this will be received by the public...

Greetings, Michael

[1] http://phpmagazin.de/news/typo3-lts-releasezyklus-174393