[TYPO3-core] Re: SignalSlot returns

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jun 23 14:44:49 CEST 2014

Hi,

> Somehow signals were introduced in the core which used the following
> code to emit a signal:
>
> $signalSlotDispatcher->dispatch(__CLASS__, 'signalName', array('key' =>
> 'value');

Exactly because back then returning value was not possible. And the
array of param is using a reference instead.

> Two questions:
>
> 1. It turns out such a change is not backwards compatible. Do we still
> want to change it?

I don't really like having breaking change just because we introduced a
way to return value. Returning a value should be kept optional.

To make it clear for everyone, the returned value is reinjected to the
next slot, right? This is what is problematic.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member