[TYPO3-core] Branching off TYPO3_6-2 in Git

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Thu Jun 12 17:48:31 CEST 2014

Hi.

I'm happy to have a public discussion on release policy. Thanks for that.

On 11.06.2014 14:08 Oliver Hader wrote:
> Feedback to the mentioned blueprint below is appreciated of course!

I appreciate the move towards a more pragmatic release management:
The main change I see with "snapshot releases" is that things are not
developed towards a target date, but are finished when they are finished
(and then released). This is the common open source community practice
which is already happening in our project, though not obvious.

I would even prefer to go for a continuous development without snapshot
releases, except LTS releases. This would put the workload of a
feature-freeze stabilizing phase into each commit. I am aware that this
requires more testing which could be hard to achieve with our current
code base.

http://wiki.typo3.org/Blueprints/Release#Concept
>  Bigger features are prepared in forks and merged in a snapshot

Whatever "bigger features" means, I would prefer to develop and publish
non-finished parts using feature toggles, branch by abstraction or any
other "continuous" methods to ship any code as soon as possible.

http://wiki.typo3.org/Blueprints/Release#Concept
> Adapt release cycles and improve up and downgrade pathes

It's unclear to me what "downgrade paths" or "rollback" means. However,
I suggest to not provide any built-in downgrade at all. It could become
a dependency hell and will open up pitfalls, especially for DB down
migrations to a state which cannot be foreseen or backtraced. This is a
promise which hurts users if not fulfilled.
If I remember correct, even @beberlei planned to remove this feature
from doctrine, though I can't find a cite to prove this statement.

Users can create backups for their own or implement a rollback mechanism
in their continuous integration. Let's focus on moving thing forward.

--
cheers,
Steffen

Active Contributor TYPO3 CMS