[TYPO3-core] Decisions and Changes to Coding Guidelines (CGL)

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jan 30 21:27:08 CET 2014

> Can you please point to the agreement you mention?
> Albeit isFirstPartOfStr() is an additional function call, it is more
> readable. That does not mean, that all occurrences of strpos() or the
> like need to be replaced with isFirstPartOfStr(). It's a suggestion to
> use isFirstPartOfStr() instead of a strict ("must") requirement.

We discussed that over IRC not too long ago and the outcome was that
it's not good idea to wrap a PHP one liner within an additional General
Utility method just to gain readability, since it sacrifices memory and
CPU time.

But actually there were just a few people around, including Michiel
Roos, Claus Due, Steffen Ritter, Helmut Hummel and me.

So it was not a final decision and IIRC Helmut still voted for
isFirstPartOfString(), so it was not fully agreed upon.

AFAIK Michiel is currently working out some benchmarks to give a deeper
insight into the impact, so lets wait for the results and see if it's
worth the effort or not.

Have a nice evening

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian